Monday, March 10, 2008

My Invisible Screenplay: Introduction

I figure it might not hurt to post some true original content here, so here goes nothing.

As the title indicates, I'm taking on the "struggling writer" shtick and attempting a screenplay; obviously, the key word there is attempt as I've never written anything of this scope before. I wrote a handful of sorta-screenplays way back in eighth grade, but those weren't all that great, and were eventually confiscated by censors (aka Mrs. VanKirk, my homeroom teacher).

So, the time has come to try again...okay, actually this seed got planted back in my junior year of high school, thanks to Mr. Long, everyone's favorite sub. Rather than actually teaching us stuff, he talked about the reason we all loved him: the fact he was Bill Long. Former Ohio State quarterback, ace substitute, and legitimately published author. He could have forged the one copy he carried around, but we didn't know any better (CONFIRMED on Barnes & Noble!). I decided I'd write a book.

The plot has evolved over the last few years, but I've settled on a theme, one that actually has more than just words to it, though I still haven't exactly fleshed it out. In my mind I've developed a main character who's become bored with the "learning phase" of his life and decides to call school quits. It's got some actual ideas to play with, even if it sounds like hippie shit.

I've managed to also skip light years ahead, pull a Zac Braff, and start scounting the soundtrack. I'll be honest, I may not have set it out, but this feels like a Garden State-style project in my mind, though I'm working on an arsenal of films with great compilation soundtracks to draw from.

I'll post more about the songs later on; part of the reason for this post is to open the project up, to let the three people who will actually read this pretend to see where I'm leading this. (Also, it's easy content). But I have a list that is, at the moment, 61 songs. More are sure to come, but I'm also planning on cutting out a few songs that don't really fit in.

Stay posted, and eventually, this lofty goal make actually become something serious.

BULLSHIT!

All right, you caught me.

Lazy-day (yet seemingly inspired!) blog posts?

That's more like it.

No comments: